Monday, January 23, 2012

Sesame Tofu Stir-Fry

So, I sort of took a lot of creative liberty with the recipe I read. I lacked certain ingredients, added extra of what I liked, and also took short cuts. What resulted was yummy, but more or less my own creation.


Time: 30 minutes (although you should put the tofu in the fridge, so if you can start a little earlier for extra fridge time, cool. ...can't say I did =P)
Servings: 3
Calories: about 350+50, depending on how much you eat, what veggies you use, etc.
Ingredients:
  Stir-Fry veggies (I used a frozen medly bag, and added extra water chestnuts because I love them oh so much. But really you can use whatever you'd like, including fresh things!)
  1 14oz package of extra firm tofu
  Sesame seed oil
  Sesame seeds
  Soy sauce
  Grated ginger
  Minced garlic
Directions:
1) Dry the tofu to the best of your abilities. I used paper towel. Cut it into 1-inch cubes.
2) In a bowl, combine about 1/2Tbs sesame oil, 1/2Tbs soy sauce. Pour this mixture over the tofu, and make sure to coat them all. If you need more, add a little more of each.
3) Add ginger and garlic to taste (I did a few dashes of ginger, and about two cloves of garlic). You can also add a spicier chili-garlic sauce, or perhaps something tangy like pineapple juice. Mix the tofu so all of the cubes are covered in the oils/spices. Place the tofu in the fridge.
4) If you're like me, take out your frozen veggie bag and follow the directions! I had mine in a skillet for about ten minutes, and also added my extra water chestnuts. I recommend bamboo shoots too! I think my veggie mix had broccoli, baby corn, peppers... all the good stuff.
5) In a separate skillet, heat another 1/2Tbs of sesame oil (or EVOO if you'd like) on high. Take the tofu out of the fridge and pour it in! Lots of sizzling should occur. Shake some sesame seeds on top to coat the tofu. Stir pretty consistently for about 5 minutes on high, to make the tofu crispy. Then turn the
heat to medium to cook for another 5.
6) Transfer the tofu to the "vegetable skillet" and cook them all together for a little bit so the flavors blend.

I think it is very obvious that instead of copying a professional recipe, I completely made this up. Don't judge the ridiculous directions please...

Also, no, no Kayla doesn't like tofu. I won't make her try this concoction.

No comments:

Post a Comment